Muammar Gaddafi was an outspoken and controversial leader of Libya who was never afraid to speak his mind out, even if it would attract some unfavourable results.
He had a knack of touching on sensitive issues, and he always stood by his words. Some of his words would draw a lot of attention and criticism, but he never backed away from them.
Below are some of his memorable and enduring quotes:
1. Americans are good people. They have no aggressions against us and they like us as we like them. They must know I don't hate them. I love them.… I hear it is a complex society inside. Many Americans don't know about the outside world. The majority have no concern and no information about other people. They could not even find Africa on a map. I think Americans are good, but America will be taken over and destroyed from the inside by the Zionist lobby. The Americans do not see this. They are getting decadent. Zionists will use this to destroy them.
2. Reagan plays with fire. He doesn't care about international peace. He plays as if he was in the theater. Reagan wants to dominate the world. He wants to find justification to make war. If he does this, if it goes on like this, a cataclysm will take place. Reagan should come and see that I am not a terrorist in a trench with a grenade in my pocket.
3. The black people’s struggle has vanquished racism. It was God who created colour. Today Obama, a son of Kenya, a son of Africa, has made it in the United States of America.
4. Let the free people of the world know that we could have bargained over and sold out our cause in return for a personal secure and stable life. We received many offers to this effect but we chose to be at the vanguard of the confrontation as a badge of duty and honour. (From his last will and testament)
5. During my term in AU, I will initiate an organised compensation claim for Africa and I will fight for a greater voice for Africa in the United Nations Security Council. If they do not want to live with us fairly, it is our planet and they can go to another planet.
6. We [Libyans] support the Palestinian resistance, and all the world supports this. We support their just cause, but we are against terrorism.
7. All of the great prophets of modern times have come from the deserts and were uneducated: Mohammed, Jesus and myself.
8. To force a human being to learn from a set curriculum is a dictatorial act
9. Those who do not love me deserve not to live
10. The times of Arab nationalism and unity are gone forever. These ideas which mobilized the masses are only a worthless currency. Libya has had to put up with too much from the Arabs for whom it has poured forth both blood and money.