Somalia is a country located in East Africa. The country has become known for news concerning terrorism. However, that is just but a single story, and auntie Chimamanda warned us about those. Therefore, here are 10 interesting facts about Somalia.
1. Somalia has the longest coastline in mainland Africa. The coastline of the country stretches across 3,025 km on the Indian Ocean and the Gulf of Aden.
2. The country has one of the highest fertility rates in the world, with an average of 6 children being born to one woman in Somalia. Child-bearing and big families are culturally encouraged in the country.
3. Somalia has one of the lowest HIV infection rates in Africa.
4. The Las Geel cave formations near Hargeisa, Somaliland, have some of the Horn of Africa’s most ancient cave paintings. The paintings, which depict cattle in ceremonial robes, a domesticated dog, giraffes and humans, date between 9,000 and 3,000 years BC. The paintings are in good condition as they are naturally protected by granite overhangs.
5. Somalia is one of the most ethnically homogenous countries in Africa. About 85% of the local population is made up of ethnic Somalis. Non-Somali ethnic minorities make up the rest of the population and are mainly concentrated in the Southern region. The Bantus are the largest minority group. The rest include Bravanese, Bajuni, Ethiopians (especially Oromos), Yemenis, Indians, Persians, Italians and Britons.
6. The official languages of Somalia are Somali and Arabic.
7. Before the start of the civil war in 1991, Somalia used to be a popular tourist destination due to its numerous attractions and pristine beaches.
8. According to most scholars, Somalia is among the most probable locations of the fabled ancient Land of Punt.
9. In addition to the Somali alphabet, indigenous writing systems developed in the 20th century to transcribe the Somali language include the Osmanya, Borama and Kaddare scripts which were invented by Osman Yusuf Kenadid, Sheikh Abdurahman Sheikh Nuur and Hussein Sheikh Ahmed Kaddare, respectively.
10. All food in Somalia is served halal.