54 out of 60 in the list of ministers and their deputies released by Congolese President Joseph Kabila on Tuesday are from his previous government and are in charge of key ministries including interior, justice, foreign affairs and mines.
Only four from opposition were named as part of the power-sharing deal signed last December allowing him to stay in power after his term ended in order for him to help organize for elections before the end of 2017.
According to Reuters, main bloc opposition, Martin Fayulu, President of the Engagemnet for Citizenship and Development (ECIDE) said the named government was illegitimate, against the deal hence unrecognizable.
Last month, Kabila named Bruno Tshibala, former secretary-general of the opposition Union for Democracy and Social Progress (UPDS) party, which has been at the centre of the political row with Kabila as his prime minister.
Before that in March, talks between Kabila and the opposition had broken down after Kabila refused to name the bloc’s choice for prime minister.
At least 40 people were killed last year in various protests in the country over elections delay. The government defended itself and said the delay was due to budgetary constraints.
And as tension continue to mount in the country, critics are saying Kabila plans are to delay election and change the referendum to enable him go for a third term.
On New Year's Eve, pro-government and opposition groups agreed to a deal brokered by the influential Roman Catholic Church that sought to avert a full-fledged crisis.
Kabila’s second term ended on December 2016 after leading the country from 2001 when he took over 10 days after his father’s death.