The menace of the Al Shabaab terrorists is fast becoming an issue of impunity. How long can we allow this evil to continue in our continent while innocent lives are lost daily?
Many regions across Africa have been under severe attacks from armed militants, but the Al Shabaab terrorists who have continued to terrorize the East African regions have seriously devastating effects. They have continued to carry out deadly attacks especially in Somalia and Kenya which has led to the loss of thousands of lives and properties worth millions of dollars.
It was a day of tragedy again on Friday last week when a bomb exploded outside the Asasey Hotel in the Somali city of Kismayo and gunmen stormed inside. The attack recorded about 25 deaths and left 56 wounded.
Somalia’s Islamic extremist rebels, al-Shabaab, claimed responsibility for the 14-hour assault. Although the assault ended after government troops killed the gunmen, it brings to question the preventive and response measures of security agencies in the country. Especially since rebels who engage in such acts are under oath of carrying out a suicide mission, meaning they kill as many people as possible until they are killed.
Prominent among those involved in the casualties was Hodan Nalaye – a popular Somali-Canadian TV host who is known for telling positive stories from a country suffering through decades of civil war, extremist attacks and famine. She was killed alongside her husband, Farid Jama Suleiman.
People all over the world have continued to mourn the deaths and losses of those affected by the attacks.
In honor of the TV host, the Somali government has announced its intention to roll out an annual award scheme in honor of Hodan Nalaye.
The announcement was made by the Minister of Foreign Affairs, Ahmed Awad, who confirmed that his Ministry will have the Hodan Nalaye Award in honor of the deceased’s inspirational life.
“Every year we will recognize an outstanding individual who made a positive contribution from the Somali Diaspora,” the Minister said in a July 15 tweet promising to follow with “More information.”
Hodan Nalayeh was expecting her third child.
Maaz Khan, a 24-year-old filmmaker in Toronto, said Nalayeh had shared her hard-earned wisdom when he met her a few years ago.
“She was always very inspiring,” he told The Associated Press. “She would say, ‘It’s tough in the beginning, but always push through and don’t give up on your passion.’”
Ahmed Hussen, Canada’s Minister of Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship, mourned the journalist’s death, saying on Twitter that she “highlighted the community’s positive stories and contributions in Canada” through her work.
“We mourn her loss deeply, and all others killed in the #KismayoAttack,” he said.
Header Image Credit: Africa News