Two entrepreneurs from Ghana and Botswana have won the Generation Africa GoGettaz Agripreneur competition.
The competition aims to help young African entrepreneurs who want to pursue their career in the field of agri-food. The entrepreneurs, Ghana's Isaac Sesi, and Botswana's Bonolo Monthe both walked away with $50,000 each prize money.
The two entrepreneurs won the competition for their innovative ventures in the agri-food sector.
Isaac Sesi's project Sesi Technologies is an agri-tech company that tackles poverty and hunger. Sesi Technologies empowers African farmers with affordable technology to help them increase productivity and reduce losses.
Bonolo Monthe's Maungo Craft is a gourmet preserve company. The company uses underused indigenous fruits and turns them into low-to-no-sugar preserves.
Econet is an African giant telecom, media and technology firm while Yara International is a global crop nutrition group.
They launched the Generation Africa initiative intending to inspire young African entrepreneurs to join the agri-food sector for its viable business opportunities.
Twelve young entrepreneurs were named as finalists after they stood out with their business ideas.
The finalists were from Botswana, Cameroon, Democratic Republic of Congo, Ghana, Kenya, Nigeria, Senegal, South Africa, Uganda, and Zimbabwe.
In the grand finale, the 12 finalists faced a panel of judges and presented their projects at the Africa Green Revolution Forum held in Accra, Ghana.
According to reports, the campaign has reached at least 46 million young people across the continent since its launch in May 2019.Here are some of the finalists:
- Gourmet Grubb, Leah Bessa, South Africa
- ColdHubs, Bright Benjamin Igbokwe, Nigeria
- Ecodudu Limited, Starlin Farah, Kenya
- Alley Capital Limited, Piwai Chikasha aka Mr Drone, Zimbabwe
- Le Lionceau, Siny Samba, Senegal
- Distribution Express (DITEX), Bertin Fokou, Cameroon
- ReelFruit Nigeria, Affiong Williams, Nigeria
- FarmCorps, Job Oyebisi, Nigeria
- Women Smiles Uganda, Lilian Nakigozi, Uganda
- Ngomalands, Steven Betcha, Democratic Republic of Congo
Header Image Credit: VC4A