Universal Credit is one of the breakthrough schemes which was bought about by the UK government, aimed to ensure the livelihood of the people who are having less than a certain benchmark of savings as well as are currently unemployed. With an aim to improve the living conditions, the universal credit seemed to be a path-breaker. If you are someone who has lost his employment recently and is looking forward to paying the bills, you should call universal credit to get your bills paid for the month.
Universal Credit works only if you are above 16 years of age and are looking for support due to lower-income. You need to ensure that you are not pursuing any form of formal education, which makes you ineligible for it. If you are suffering from any form of disability, you can also link the disability allowance, along with the universal credit, to avail the benefits.
An interesting fact about universal credit is that, if both you and your partner are unemployed or are eligible for the universal credit, both of you will be getting the funds in an apportioned way. For that to happen, you must ensure that the details about your partner are mentioned properly while filling the form for universal credit. Further details about the same can be retrieved if you call universal credit.
Universal Credit for couples
• During the claiming procedure for the fund, you will be required to enter about the details of the partner, whether you and your partner stay together or not. If both of you stay together and are eligible for the universal credit, select yes and click on Next.
• If both of you are staying in together, you can make in a joint claim for the universal credit fund. For this, both you and your partner need to claim the amount together as it cannot be claimed alone.
• The next step uses the code for your partner, in which you will be given a code, such that you can link with your partner using the code. The code given is only valid for the first person who is joining the portal. Once you receive the code, make sure you give the code to your partner, when they open their account.
• If you have children between you, there needs to a primary carer for your children. The portal asks for the primary carer for your children, wherein you can either select yourself or your partner. You can even dodge the question by selecting not to answer the question.
• Proper care needs to be taken while entering the details as changes with the details will not be made. In the cases, when both of you wish to separate, you need to unlink your partner’s account. It will mean that your partner and your accounts and funds will not be linked and will be disbursed accordingly and separately.
When to call universal credit?
Often, you might not be sure as to when to call universal credit. If you are opening the credit account for the first time, it is often suggested to call and enquire about the documents which will be needed to open the universal credit account. Often discussion over the phone helps in clarifying a lot of queries. Secondly, if you are stuck in places while filling the application form, don’t hesitate to dial the number. The universal credit claim is the third time when you must give a call and know about the details and procedures which will be required to claim the amount. In case, the amount has not been credited to your account, we would recommend you not to panic under such circumstances and rather call the universal credit to sort this matter completely.
Few tips for the Universal Credit Claim
1. Ensure that you have a valid and active bank account wherein the credit amount will be disbursed. You need to open a bank account, if you don’t have one, yet.
2. Turn on the direct-debit in your bank account to prevent from visiting the bank every time for the bill payment.
3. Make sure that you are using a proper, safe and secure internet connection for the claim, as it can be made online only.