Manufacturers of sectional garage doors introduce a multi-level quality control system at all stages of production that meets all international standards and guarantees consumers a long service life of door systems. Garage doors withstand heavy loads every day, which often leads to breakages and malfunctions. Very often, the repair of sectional doors and the degree of its complexity directly depends on the type of breakage that most often occurs because of non-compliance with the rules for operating the doors and installation standards. However, there might be some other causes for the door to fail.
Symptoms of malfunctions and troubleshooting options
• Door jamming or heavy opening. This type of failure might be associated with the deformation of the metal tracks or door panels, with excessive tension of the extension springs. The solution to this problem is the replacement of rollers, hinges or the correct regulation of the spring tension force.
• Bangs and creaks during the door movement. The reason may hide in the wear of moving parts or contamination of the door tracks. Cleaning and lubricating the rollers can fix this problem.
• Deformation of the tracks. Such breakages most often occur at the rotary tracks of the sectional garage doors. Straightening and in more complex cases - the replacement of failed parts - will help to fix this problem.
• Damage to the door surface. Unlike the mechanical elements and devices, the door itself does not have moving parts, except for the connections of individual sections, which, due to wear and tear, can fail. This leads to a loss of integrity and insulating properties of the sectional garage door. However, there is no need to panic since the main advantage of this type of door is the ability to replace separate parts. Because of this advantage, door repair is greatly simplified.
• Damage to the cable drum, roller, opener or a cable breakage. This type of problem can only be solved by replacing or repairing parts by garage door maintenance technicians.
Problems with automatic garage door opener
Alongside with breakages of the main garage door parts, it is not uncommon for the automatic opener of a sectional door to fail. And if minor malfunctions of small parts can be eliminated without professional help, repair of automatic opener is something you should entrust to the professionals. In addition, the doors of different manufacturers will require different troubleshooting techniques. Thus, Сraftsman garage door opener troubleshooting will be different from, for example, Allstar troubleshooting technique.
Owners of automatic sectional doors often face the following issues:
• The door mechanism works only on opening. The cause may hide in a breakage of the photocells. Fixing this problem usually requires the replacement of a broken photocell.
• Intermittent closure. This type of malfunction has to do with a malfunction or incorrect setting of the control unit.
• Opening does not work from the remote control. There might be many reasons for this: failure of communication between the signal receiver and the control panel, remote control malfunction, failure of the drives.
• The gates do not reach their final positions. This kind of malfunction can be corrected by reprogramming the end positions of the door or replacing the failed drives.
If you need detailed troubleshooting instructions, you can download the owner's manual from the official site of your garage door manufacturer.