When people think about going on vacation, they often turn away from city breaks in favor of heading to the beach. It makes sense. The beach and the ocean are peaceful and soothing and they are a complete contrast to the rat race of the city. However, the world has so many fabulous cities to offer you, so why wouldn’t you want to go and see them? A city break is not just something you should do when you fancy going to the theater.
There is so much you can do, see and even eat when you go to the city, and once you know the reasons you should be heading to one you’ll be fast booking for your next holiday. Make sure that you plan your city break in advance, find the best luggage locker Barcelona has to offer and you can go and enjoy everything else Barcelona has to offer, too! Let’s take a look at some of the prime reasons you should choose a city break over a trip to the sea.
- The food. Beach holidays are glorious when it comes to the food – seaside food and ice cream is always a winner – but the restaurants in the city are something else. When you visit a city, you are spoiled for choice when it comes to dining. It doesn’t matter whether you are in the best bustling markets of Bangkok or you are heading down the strip in New York City – there is always something to see and always something to eat. The city break is a complete no-brainer when you want to pivot your holiday around food and drink.
- The learning opportunities. Going to the beach is going to give you and your whole family something new to learn. You’ll learn about the wildlife and the ocean life and the way the sand is created. But the city? The city offers so much more. Between the museums and historical landmarks, the city tours that tell you everything you’d like to know, even the streets that have the original features from hundreds of years ago, there is so much that you can do and learn culturally in the city. Even just staying in the corporate hotels can be a massive experience for you.
- The exercise. Playing beach games does give you a workout, but let’s be real here – nobody goes to the beach to exercise! Beach holidays are not really limiting at all when it comes to staying active, but people generally tend to just relax. However, a city break is the obvious choice if you enjoy being active because there are yoga sessions in the parks, city runs that span up to full marathon length, cycle routes and bike hire shops and even hotel gyms. You are completely covered for whatever exercise you prefer when you stay in the city and there will be something available for all.
- For access. When you head to the city, there is public transport no matter where you look. It’s much harder to do this along the beach, because often you might find beachside buses more than you’d find fairies, trains, underground stations, buses – you name it, the city has it. The city also tends not to sleep, so when you want to get a taxi at 1 o’clock in the morning for some good Kung Pao chicken, you’ll be able to find it and you’ll find the chicken. You won’t often find that at the beach.
- There is always something new. Beach resorts are very same-y no matter where you go around the world. They have their pools, they have their spas, they have their food, they have their drinks. But when you go to the city, there’s always something new to enjoy. New gallery openings, new museum pop-ups, new shopping options - you name it, the city has got it!
- The weather. Sure, most cities are known for being rainy or wet. But on a beach holiday, your whole holiday can be ruined if it rains. In the city, if it rains you can hit the galleries or the museums. If it’s windy, you can head to a fireplace in a local pub and enjoy a delicious drink. You’re always able to adapt according to the weather in the city better than you can on a sunny beachside resort.
- The shopping. You don’t have to be a shopping fanatic to enjoy a little bit of retail therapy, and when you’re in the city your options are in abundance. You get so much more than the tacky but fun souvenir shops at your beachside resort. You get the designer names. the brand names and any name you like – because the shopping options feel endless.